Multiple Databases for Multiple Shop Locations
Fabricators with more than one location use Systemize in different ways depending on physical location and organizational structure. If they share resources - perhaps they fabricate from the same shop or they share programming staff - they usually set up one single Systemize instance. If they operate each location as separate companies and do not want employees from one location to see Job information at the other location, then they set up separate Systemize databases. Here are some basic pros and cons of sharing a single Systemize instance.
Advantages of sharing one Systemize instance:
- It will be easier to schedule shared resources like Programming Staff or Inventory. See Related Articles below for more information on creating separate Calendars.
- Sharing information between locations will be easier.
- You will be able to report on your company as a whole.
- Training your staff and documenting policies will be easier because the systems will be identical.
Disadvantages of sharing one Systemize instance:
- If you currently have two systems and are looking to merge, there's no good way to combine the two databases to move forward. You would likely need to archive one database. We would continue to host it, and you'd have a read-only user people could share to look up old job information. Then you would transition everyone at both locations to the shared database.
- In order to make the two location process work, users would need to be diligent about selecting Location in the Job Info dialog box after creating a new Job. Like this:
- If you're using Systemize Inventory Edition, you would have to rethink your Inventory process to ensure that everyone understands how to view slabs at their own location, etc.
Naturally, each situation is unique, but these are just a couple of points to consider as you begin the evaluation. Please give us a call if you have additional questions.