Create A Remnant For A Broken Slab: Tracking By Each
Create Remnant from Serial Number Details
If you have a broken slab, you can create remnants for the salvaged pieces. This will generate new serial numbers.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You should not create a remnant this way for a piece that's leftover from a job. To do that, you should create the remnant directly from the job.
You can't create a remnant (or an adjustment) on a serial number when the serial number balance is 0. If you try, you'll get this error message:
In that situation you should create the remnant directly from the job.
Create a remnant for a broken slab
- Go to the serial number details for the original slab and click +Remnant
- Enter the estimated quantity (eg. .5 or .75) of the remaining useful piece. You might also enter a description and adjust the Cost. Save.
- A new serial number has been created for the remnant - notice the remaining On-Hand Balance left on the original serial number
- If the slab cleaved into 2 clean pieces, you might make 2 remnants. More commonly, there are pieces too small to use that get thrown away - those are represented by the On-Hand Balance. To get rid of that On-Hand Balance (because you had to throw it away), click +Adjustment
- Enter the negative of the On-Hand Balance in the adjustment, along with a description of the reason for the adjustment.
- Now the On-Hand Balance is 0, so the original serial number will no longer show up in inventory